Tuesday, May 15, 2012

I'm going to be working in una huerta!

Yea, I didn't know that word until today, either, never fear. BUT, now that I do, I am really really excited.

This afternoon, I went to my volunteer site for my first day. Or so I thought. It was a full-blown interview, completely in Spanish! My volunteer coordinator, Josefina, was there with me, but yea, I wasn't expecting that! We talked for about an hour, and we didn't need to revert to English once! So, on top of what I'm going to be doing, it was such an exciting development to find out I can interview in Spanish. Especially after last week, when I got back from the US, and was kind of down about how I was speaking (ie not well).

ANYWAY, so what is a huerta?

It's this:

 And this:

 And this!

I'm going to be working in a community garden dedicated to providing children in need proper healthy fruits and vegetables to help them lead a healthier life! This is kind of my dream come true. As most of you know, I love food. And I love good food. And I want everyone to be able to eat said good food!

It's a new organization dedicated to these sorts of initiatives all over the country. When I'm not working in the garden, I'm going to be helping them push their initiatives of a healthier Argentina through marketing efforts, social media, fundraising, etc. This is a new thing for meat-centric Argentina, and something that I am really excited to help out with...And the cherry on top is, that they conduct all their biz in Spanish!

I was always looking forward to these last few months here, but my excitement levels just went through the roof. Tomorrow I report to the garden to work with the kids and will report back. Que cosa!

No comments:

Post a Comment