Saturday, May 26, 2012

Happy Argentine Revolution Day!- A Photo Essay

Argentina's revolution against the Spaniards began May 25, 1810 and lasted until July 9, 1816. So they get two independence-related holidays. That's what I like to see. For the first of the 2, Kate and I decided to go to La Feria De Mataderos, and my word, we were not disappointed.

We sampled some of the best local fare (tamales, humitas, empanadas, choripan y pastalitos (spelling here is questionable) I have had to date:

 
                          That's what I like to see, people. Jugs of wine and chimmichurri sauce.


About 1/3 of our entire lunch. Pictured here are humitas (boiled and mashed corn in husks), tamales (pork and mashed corn filled husks), empanadas and the obligatory bottle of vino. Yea that's right.


El Rey De Choripan! And yes, he was! (Also, I found my future husband here. There IS a picture.)


Pastalitos! mmm these were way yummier than I was anticipating. 


We watched some amazing traditional folkelore dancing!

 The panuelo (handkerchief) dance!

 Loved this cute matching Argentine couple dancing in the fading afternoon light


This video took me 20 minutes to load. It better be the right one. 

Argentine gaucho swagga.

We watched gaucho games and saw a cute kid win (Ie catch the ring like this gentleman directly below did)!






And what Argentine Revolution Day would be complete without a night of tango and champagne (maybe too much champagne)!




1 comment: