Monday, July 16, 2012

Chile, How Do I Love Thee? Let Me Count The Ways

Stepping into Chile is like stepping into a magical, mystical world, full of amazing (1st world) delights.

Ok, so that may be a slight exaggeration, but I did spend the entire 10 days mystified, walking around in a fugue state, my eyes ablaze with wonder and merriment. And here's why:

1. Efficiency: Oh Sweet Jesus, thank you for delivering me to this land of efficiency, punctuality and general with-it-ness. Coming from Argentina (see subway rant entry from May), it is truly amazing how efficient this country is. Buses come when they say they will, there's nary a 30 minute ATM line in sight,  and most importantly, people don't scrutinize you like you're the Walter White of counterfeit money manufacturing when you hand them a bill. It...took my breath away. I felt complete again!



2. The People: Like other countries I have visited in South America, I found the people to be magnificently welcoming and moreover, super helpful. "Oh, there are two blondes trying to figure out how to put the ticket in the subway turnstyle for minutes on end like morons? Let me help them."  "No, lady who is obviously not from here, taxis will not pick you up in the busy bus lane." Everywhere we went, people helped us and seemed to want us there.  Here are some people shots I took, trying to improve my camera skillz.





3. The Food and Wine: By now, I think you're probably noticing a trend with me: I love autobiographies of dead presidents. Well, yes, that, but ALSO, local cuisine and vino. Wow, Chile's got it goin' on. We took a cooking class one day in Valparaiso and I learned how to make ceviche and pastel de choclo, among other things. Chile's version of the lomito/chovito in Argentina and Uruguay is a churrasco. And damn, that ish was fine, despite the need to check in with a cardiologist immediately thereafter.

As far as vinos go, do yourself a solid and check out the Koyle Syrah. I am currently working on a master plan (read: ordering it online) to get a case of it back into the US of A. And for all your non-red weirdos- I mean drinkers- out there, this could be just the thing to tickle your fancy.

And yes, I looked like this photo below for the duration of the trip. Facebook photos to corroborate.





4. San Pedro De Freaking Atacama: 


There are no words for this place. Vale la pena to go to on a flight or 27 hour bus ride (um, flight) to San Pedro from Santiago. We spent 4.5 glorious days in this driest desert in the world and saw so many different landscapes, I...it was one of the coolest places I've been lucky enough to visit. Below you will see a shot of Valle de La Luna, with its Mars-like landscapes, Geysers del Tatio, where we ascended 2,500 meters (approx 7500 feet) in one hour, causing all manners of altitude sickness and slight frostbite, and THE SALARS DE ATACAMA/CEJAS. All singularly cool and 790 photos-worthy. 



5. The History: Yea, yea, leave it to Jill, she who asks for treatises on Abraham Lincoln and his views on slavery for Christmas, to end on a dull/dorky note. To that I say, Go to the Museum of Memory and Human Rights in Santiago. You will not be disappointed. We spent 3+ hours there without even thinking of it (except that it's winter, freezing there, and Chile does not have central heating systems so it was freezing in the building. I think the AC was actually on, but I digress), and we learned a TON about Pinochet, the junta from 1973-1990 and more. Before I came to South America, I had no idea about any of that.  #ThanksUSHSHistoryClasses. Today, however, I emailed Swayz asking her to pick me up 3 Pinochet and Chilean history books from the library for our week at the lake.  Nothing like a light beach read....

I really could go on and on about this biznass, like I could about everything I've done, but we can just discuss it over a glass of Syrah or 3 when I am home...next week! I can hardly believe it. I've got some fun plans for my last week, including my last trip to my favorite Armenian restaurant tomorrow, and I will be sad to go. Stay tuned for a couple more entries, if you're even still reading my rants and raves.

Chau!

1 comment:

  1. amazing photos, but more importantly "autobiographies of dead presidendts"??! Come on!

    ReplyDelete