Saturday, June 30, 2012

Galapagos Unplugged!

Ok, so you know how people say Disney is the most magical place on earth?

To that I say, False. 

The answer to this conundrum, dear readers, of the most magical place on earth, is the Galapagos Islands. Protected as a World Heritage Site, the islands offer a ridiculous amount of sub-climates and sub-ecosystems. One day, when we were hiking (slash I was falling into) a volcano, our guide, my BFF for life Julio, told us there were 30-something sub-ecosystems. Huh? 

I have been up til 3am for the last several weeks trying to figure out how to put this trip into words. Ok, part of that statement is true. I've been up til 3am but that's Buenos Aires' fault, not my tongue-tiedness about the Galapagos.

Regardless, I will say that the way to do this trip, if you are so inclined, is to do it with a smaller group. I would not recommend a 100-person cruise, not just because I would need an IV of Dramamine in me at all times/40 16 oz bottles of ginger ale, but because...we just did cool stuff. For example:

-There were 6 of us. 
-ROW Adventures is the only tour group with permits to camp on the islands. We camped for 2 days and I was lucky enough to have my 30th birthday at our campsite/happy hour on our boat watching the sunset (see FB for photo evidence). 
-Because there were so few of us, we saw way more wildlife up close and personal...like the day we were snorkeling and I just kept yelling, "Shark!" in quick succession to be annoying slash Jaws-like. But seriously, there were 4 sharks circling. It was absurd.
-Sea Lions just hung out next to us in the water. They would come out of nowhere and swim right up to your nose like a rocket and then stop and seemingly laugh in your face.
-Impromptu surf lesson! (See photos)
-Great conversation and great new friends
-Big cruise ships can't go to the lava tunnels we went to one day. If the tide is off, no one can go, so it was a bit touch and go even for our small boat. But when we got there....wow. There are these lava formations sticking up all over the place, and it's entirely likely you can capsize, but we did it! And then we got to snorkel with all sorts of wildlife.
-We got to learn lots about Ecuador from some passionate Ecuadorians including our guides. They spent time with us at meals, on the boat, etc really sharing their culture, history and present-day with us. What a cool thing. 
-Homemade food at the campsite, on the boat

I could go on and on about the sheer uniqueness of this trip, but instead I will leave you with some pictures.  When I say that these pictures don't do this trip justice, I wish there were another phrase I could use, because that phrase doesn't seem to do this trip justice. :)

This is a little out of order (who knows why, really) and it gets a little long, mainly because I'm incapable of figuring out how to put more than one picture on the same line. Sigh. Maybe in my next lifetime. But I promise you, these are worth it!

Oh, and a special thanks for Rose, Brian, Laura, Paul and Helen for not only sharing their pictures with me, but for also making this a truly once in a lifetime trip!


  Blue footed boobies! Look at those feet!
 Brian swimming through an underwater cave at the Lava Tunnels


 Craziest sea turtle in the world- look how close!

 "Oh, it's on." "I will wreck you." So it went. 
 On our volcano hike...ocean in the background, lush green behind us, cactuses and 12k yr old lava rocks. Pretty gnarly (Californian for 'cool')
 Boobies' feet!
 Apparently it's rare to see more than one flamingo. We saw 14. As Seb put it, we had good karma. Yea that's right. 
 Rosie had some fun with some sand pellets leftover from ghost crabs digging on the beach. I reap the benefit of her labor.
 The gang!


 Find the iguana! The camouflage they have adapted...just out of this world.
 Julio eats his 4th wasp because...why not? 

 Sea cucumber!



 Our fearless leader! 

 Insert Jaws music here. 
 Chillaxin and breakin the Sunday Blue Laws in Guayaquil 


 Ill-fated surf lesson. Attractive surf instructor (jesus), idiot Jill sitting around doing pilates poses. 

 I feel like we're reenacting Backstreet Boys' "I want it that Way" (yes, I just said that) or U2's "Beautiful Day" here
 Underwater snorkeling!


1 comment:

  1. I don't know...there aren't any rides or giant turkey legs here like at Disney. Just kiddddding - this all looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete