Friday, June 22, 2012

No puedo creerlo- queda un mes!

With a tad over a month left before the next Jill adventure begins, I thought it an appropriate time to share a shortlist of the things I will and won't miss about this pretty amazing country.

What I Will Miss:

1. The Men. 
I mean, seriously. This country has more than its fair share of good looking men (and women, to be fair). See exhibit A below. I'm not sure how this person exists in real life, but he does. I swear to you. Unless I was drunk from the 3 pounds of meat I consumed that day and he was a mirage.  Also, see Exhibit B: Every trainer that works at my gym.

2. The Food.
Yowsa, these people know how to eat well and cook well. I've never had so many choice cuts of beef, bottles of wine, homemade pasta, fresh veggies and other amazing delights in my life. And so affordable too!

Here are some of my favorite wineries in case you're looking for something new:

http://www.montecinco.com.ar/monte5_web_english.html
http://www.catenawines.com/es/wines/dv-catena/dv-catena.html
http://bodegaazul.com.ar/azul/ingles/
http://bodegarucamalen.com/

You can also buy wine from this wine tasting place in BA- they have a distributor in the US. You can't go wrong with any of their wines. I would know. Please.  And it ships quickly.
http://www.anuvawines.com/

3. How Long it Takes To Do Anything.
It is my dream come true to sit around for 3 hours sharing a meal with friends. It is also my dream to actually take a lunch break with co-workers in the office and chat for an hour. These people have it right- more relaxation is good for the soul (and my stomach, knowledge of wine, etc). It's also been fabulous for getting to know people better, honing my already moderately bearable conversation skills and not drinking the fabulous wine as quickly as I might want to in my head.

4. The Mamacita-ing on the Street.
God, Who else is going to tell me how great I look right after the gym when I've just run 4 miles and have on 4 layers of clothes?! I'm beside myself with sadness.

5.  The Late Nights.
I've really gotten on board with the late nights, leisurely late dinners and just generally not being on the go-go-go here. When I went home for Julie's wedding and my mom wanted to have dinner on the table at 5:30, I was all, "But...I just had...lunch. What...do you mean?"


What I Will Not Miss: 


1. The Men: This is generally not true. Please. See #1 above, honestly, people. What I mean by this is what is discussed in #4 below.   On the contrary, the men I've gotten to know here are pretty neato, as a general rule.


2. The Food.
What I mean by this is the lack of diversity. Swayz, do not stop the car from JFK until we can get an IV of salsa in me stat (accompanied by 3 baskets of tortilla chips).  Also, a chicken cutlet sandwich with honey mustard sauce and everything on the KFC menu, except if they still have that Double Down sandwich thing, because that's just gross.

3. How Long it Takes To Do Anything:
Why, God Why, Do I need to allot 30 minutes to go to the ATM on the corner?!

4. The Mamacita-ing On The Street.
Ok Sir, I did not need to know what you'd 'do to me and my 3 friends at the same time' just now as we passed you on the street.  Also, does that jam work for you ever? Like, what's your success rate? Just wonderin'.

Here Kate's very timely and accurate depiction of what I've experienced here as a woman- could not have said it better myself: http://www.kateclick.com/blog/2012/06/18/piropos-the-fine-argentine-art-of-sexual-harrassment/


5. The Late Nights. 
I am all about the dancing, singing, eating, wine-ing until the cows come home sorta lady, but 7am last weekend? A Philly bar with a last call of 1:30 has nothing on BaAs? People don't show up anywhere here until after well after 2am. Please...I am just craving someone to tell me to go home!

When I think about it, it's hard to believe this amazing adventure is coming to a close in just over a month. One thing's fo damn sho: Necesito aprovechar el tiempo que queda aca en Buenos Aires!

No comments:

Post a Comment