Saturday, January 21, 2012

Phil Collins is King Here

Ok, so that may be a slight exaggeration, but words cannot express my surprise (read: delighted surprise, since Phil Collins, along with Richard Marx, are my childhood musical heroes...with that said, here I come, Spotify!) when, on the way back from Uruguay today, there was an AMAZING video of P.C., Live In Concert. 1.25 hours of amazingness, my friends.

Anyway, the point of this entry is not to regale you with tales of how Phil Collins is received in SA (but, oh, if it were!). Today, I took a lil day trip over to Uruguay (you know, how people do down here), and visited the colonial town/village of Colonia de Sacremento. It. was. gorgeous. My pictures below won't do it justice, but I'll try nonetheless.

Colonia was founded by the Portuguese,  a long long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away (1680 AD) and changed hands with the Spanish through battles/treaties/etc several times. Since 1828, it's been part of Uruguay. Its historic downtown is a UNESCO World Heritage site (neat!)

Also, I have to make a quick note about my never ceasing wonderment about this whole traveling alone thing. I meet people where ever I go, and they are all amazing. You honestly never know what's going to happen to you when you walk out the door everyday, and that's pretty freaking awesome. Just today, while I was drinking my sangria, I met a new friend from Australia! It's just...something I never thought of when I was planning this voyage, but there it is.  Ok, enough pontificating. PICTURES!!!!



Yes, I will have a pitcher of sangria to myself while I wait for a squall to pass


I make my second appearance on my blog! I am on the faro (lighthouse). The Rio De La Plata is behind me. By the way, even thought it's technically a river, the Rio De La Plata is 140 miles wide at some parts (what!). Some 'river experts' (who knew those existed? next line of work for me?) consider it a marginal sea. Poor RDLP.

My delicious lunch. Delicious and approx $10. Seriously? The national dish is chivito (not pictured, but also consumed today.) It's a stuffed steak sandwich with bacon, fried egg, cheese, onions, olives, salad, etc. KFC ain't got nothin' on this. 

What I like to call Argentina's/Uruguay's crack-cocaine. I am seriously addicted. It's this butter-mayo mixture of sheer  amazingness. I know, I thought I hated mayo too, until I tasted this. This particular one had some red peppers diced up in it, too. 


Thanks, Sign! Happy to be here!


1 comment:

  1. Sangria looks delish.I heart the photos, but not phil collins.

    ReplyDelete