Thursday, January 26, 2012

Growing Pains/Observations Going-on-Week 4 (Already?!?!)

Even paradise has its drawbacks.

I invite you to listen to the theme song of my favorite late 80's/early 90s TV show theme song as you read this. Mainly because I don't have any self-taken pictures to accompany this entry (I know, boooo). So my plan is to regale (I'm noticing I use that word often and not always correctly, much like my usage of the word touche) you with some multimedia:

Growing Pains Theme- Season 1

1. The food situation: It's growing slightly dire.  I simply cannot find enough variety in order to cook at home.  I am hoping I can begin to employ the amazing South American cookbook my former co-worker so wonderfully gave me upon my departure, but so far, the ingredients are not as varied as at home, and it's starting to take its toll. Yogurt for dinner just ain't gonna cut it, people. Especially those that know my eating habits of multiple rather large meals per day. Which brings me to my next point...

2. Under no circumstances should I be allowed to cook rice. Or pasta.  I 100% cannot get the measurements right. What looks to be the right amount before is enough to feed the borough of BK (hood shout out!)

3. It is disheartening when people answer your attempts at Spanish in English. Like, really disheartening. I am hoping that gets better because at this point I understand mostly everything and know what to say. It just takes me a little time and portenos don't seem to have the patience for it. But as my classmate and professors say, "Poco a poco, Jill." I am trying to bear that in mind!

4. I love that there is always something to do, and I am having a blast, but I miss my besties. Ya'll know who you are. It's one thing to be out meeting people an talking and learning (all AMAZING, don't get me wrong), but I just want to have a bucket of KFC on Gloria's couch, por ejemplo. I am looking forward to my visitors, while making sure I savor all the moments I have here alone and with new friends!

5. I now know SEVERAL Spanish phrases for "F off". And you kind of need them! It's kind of insane. There's never any real danger (SWAYZ), but when I am out and about in my potato sack (as I am wont to do), I get too many 'mamacitas' y 'hermosas' to possibly keep track. And I'm not saying I'm special in any way. Like I said, I am wearing a potato sack.  It don't matter one bit. Today I had to resort to saying: "Tenes un problema?...Pandejo!" Let's just say they backed right off.


Now for the big news:

Galapagos & Patagonia are booked!


Which also means I've extended my trip past my baby Neek's wedding in May!!! I'll be in the Galapagos Islands for my 30th! Here is my tour. It is one of the only tours that includes camping on the islands. Words cannot contain my excitement!

Galapagos_Unbound

Galapagos Unbound- Adventure Tour

The first and original land-based adventure, featured in the New York Times and winner of National Geographic "Tours of a Lifetime."
Over the years, ROW Adventures has taken Galapagos tours to the next level. We are the only Galapagos Islands tour that allows beach camping on the islands and we offer a range of adventure activities during our Galapagos Tours. You'll sea kayak around the Galapagos Islands and explore areas where cruises can not access. During your tour you'll enjoy Galapagos Islands hiking from experienced guides while visiting the beautiful mountain areas of the islands. You'll come in contact with wildlife, swim off of sunny beaches, and snorkel your way around new worlds.
More about ROW Adventures' Galapagos Islands Unbound Tour



I'll also be in Patagonia March 2-10. I'm going to the southernmost city in the world (more or less), Ushuaia, followed by El Calafate. The big news is that I'm taking an 8 hour intense glacier hike over the major glacier down there, Perito Moreno. Info below.

http://www.hieloyaventura.com/2010/eng_big_ice-glaciar-perito-moreno.asp

Here is a short 15 s video of an ice crash on the above glacier. The immensity of these things is mind-boggling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuCcFc2inuo

With that, I am off to the club (umm in 5 hours, let's be serious). Adios for now!

Next time: Photo collage of BA with Trivia!

No comments:

Post a Comment