Thursday, January 5, 2012

Day 1: Successes and....well, only successes!

Hola Amigos!

I think it's about time I regale you with tales of my first day in Argentina, as I know some of you (I'm looking at you, Swayz), have been on the edge of your proverbial seats.

A couple of disclosures first:
1. My fabulous friends are working on a more visually appealing blog, so that it a) has llamas on it and b) is easier to see photos, etc, so stay tuned.
2. If you know me, you know I never bring a camera anywhere, so I promise to finesse my pretty awful camera skillz (you'll see what I mean, trust me).

So yesterday, I had one main task (besides not killing the small child who insisted on sitting next to me on the plane because her tv was broken, then proceeded to fall asleep immediately literally on top of me for 7 hours, effectively watching approx 2 seconds of said TV vital to her well being). Ah, kids...Anyway, that one main task was to get to University of BA to take a placement test for Spanish classes beginning...today. After a 2 hour walk (blocks are longer here!), I finally found the street but could never find the actual building; I swear it doesn't exist. One could potentially call it a failure, but it was great to see the city again, and the weather is to die for! And I wound up at the Casa Rosada and the main square. (photo below) Info on Casa Rosada here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casa_Rosada

The first photo is the other end of the Plaza De Mayo (Casa Rosada is on the other end). It's named for its turbulent history...namely when Argentina revolted against Spanish rule on May 25, 1810. This is the building where they declared that they'd had enough! Lots of protests continue to occur in this square for its history, proximity to government and visibility.


Ok, enough history talk for one day. Oh, did I mention Argentina is ridiculously cost effective? I got this giant glass of wine, which was spilling over, for $3 USD. And it's insanely good wine. I think we're going to have a problem :)


Also, could someone could help me figure out how to use this giant grill (asador) next to the pool in my apartment complex?  If you come visit, I could cook you giant cuts of amazing grass fed beef! (had a steak last night; I am in heaven here):


Ok time to head out. On the docket for today:

-Buy a cell phone (oh boy, this should be interesting)
-Go to a pilates class up the street that I booked for tonight (also should be interesting...what's "downward dog" in Spanish?)
-Grocery store: I'm cooking tonight (not on the asador...yet)!
-I decided to get right on it...Tomorrow morning I head out on my first daylong side trip outside of the city, el Tigre, which is a town in BA province and is at the mouth of the river delta. Lots of wildlife and exploration to be done via boat! I'll be sure to post some pictures when I'm back!

6 comments:

  1. I love this blog already!! I took yoga classes in Spain and I accidentally went to one in Catalan once. Let's just say that was not a relaxing experience! Can't wait to hear more! Also, don't wine and blog. Trust me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh El Tigre is so cool! Take a boat tour--it's amazing to see how all the islands are connected.

    Have fun, chica. Don't forget to get ice cream from Freddo. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those asadors are tricky! We had to have a neighbor show us how to use it. Essentially you need one of those coal fire starter things, which heats for a while. Then you spread the hot coals on the bottom, then lower the grate, then cook your food (slowly...).

    We hosted an xmas asada when we were in BA and from start (heating coals) to finish (eating meat) it was about, oh, 9 hours. different time frames over there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yep...if you are going to use the grill, you need to start WAY before you are hungry. It is more of an event than just cooking a meal. The coals are not like our coals and take quite a while to heat up. So you drink lots of wine while you wait. Then, as Hollie said, spread them out and lower the grate and give it plenty of time to let the grate get hot. Then slow cook your food. By the time it is ready, you are good and drunk, so it will be delicious either way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jill - How wonderful to be reading your 'journal entries' after all these years :) You're off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the great comments! It's great to hear from my peeps at home. Good tips on the asador and noted on wining and blogging. Rotem, el Tigre was great! I've had a great couple of days since I last posted, and will post again soon!

    ReplyDelete