Sunday, March 11, 2012

Patagonia, Take 2!



Um, yea. I was here this past week. What is that, you ask?  It's a freaking glacier, dear friends, and I hiked that joint like no other. As I sit here continuing to destroy the kg of ice cream I ordered last night, I am recounting the sheer dexterity required (read: they put our 2nd guide, Diego 2, next to me the whole time because I kept falling) to do the Big Ice hike.  After you strap your crampons on (gross), you jump out on the ice and plod around for several hours, walk through chasms in the ice and generally get a feel for what a 250km2 block of ice is like. For all you space comparison fans out there, and I know there are a few!, Buenos Aires is the 9th largest city in the world, and it's 200km2.

By the way, did you know you can get ice cream delivered to your apt here at midnight? Do we have that in NYC? If not, I think I'll abandon my lifelong dream to work on conferences and go into the midnight ice cream delivery business.

Anyway, I digress.

Some more vastness perspective for ya'll:




Relaxing with our glasses of whisky at the end of the hike. Because that's JUST what one needs after hiking for 8 hours. I was drunk in like .235 milliseconds.

What I'm about to say may surprise many of you who have only known me to live in a city. BUT I did grow up in the woods (figuratively speaking...kind of) with a state park in my backyard. Ok here it goes:

I could live on an estancia for the rest of my life. Sign me up, train me to be a gaucho (cowboy).

I am a firm believer that everyone needs to go to one on a trip to Argentina, and not because I developed a severe crush on the gaucho who taught me how to horseback ride. No, no, Dear Readers, this is all about the views, the quiet, the homecooked food, and homespun linens and blankets, and the fact that they don't run an electric current through much of the day because of their limitations with their generators. In.love.

Below are some random photos, but there are more in the ol' archives! (facebook) if you want to take in a little more.







Next up: Bertotti and I take on Peru for 12 days.  Wish us luck hiking the Inca Trail for 4 days, and hopefully we'll live to write another blog post!

No comments:

Post a Comment